Intensive Training Workshops
Participants may receive credit toward Certification in the Lister-Sink Method if they so choose.
I. Upcoming Workshops
June 12-17, 2023
Offered both In-Person and Online!
Barbara Lister-Sink, Ed.D., Director & Instructor
Susan Perkins, MM, MAmSAT, Alexander Technique Instructor
For information, e-mail David Holter.
- To develop injury-preventive, well-coordinated technique of the whole body with the instrument
- To understand the biomechanics of playing, through analytical and kinesthetic exploration of basic anatomy
- To develop optimal skeletal alignment and efficient muscle use at the instrument
- To discover & eliminate habitual inefficient body-use patterns
- To learn the Basic Stroke™ — the fundamental sensations and coordinations of sound production — through the Lister-Sink Method
- To explore the application of the Basic Stroke™ to incrementally complex repertoire
III. Training Schedule
10:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Review of personal pianistic history and technical evaluation
- Daily small-group instruction in the Lister-Sink Method
- Daily individualized technical instruction
- Daily whole-body work (eg. Alexander Technique)
- Private instruction with Barbara Lister-Sink
- Other group activities include:
- Discussion of the history of keyboard technique
- Viewing & analyzing videos of contemporary and legendary pianists
- Discussion of pedagogical issues, repertory & progressive steps after the Basic Stroke
IV. Travel, Lodging & Meals (not included in tuition)
- The nearest major airport (17 miles from W-S) is the Greensboro/Triad International Airport. Charlotte/Douglas International Airport, a US Airways hub (85 miles from W-S) would require a car rental.
- There are numerous attractive, reasonably priced restaurants and cafés in Winston-Salem.
- Participants may stay at a number of nearby hotels, available upon request, at special Salem College rates. Other hotels or historic B & B’s are also nearby and can be explored by contacting the Winston-Salem Visitors Center. Salem College is in the middle of the renowned 18th-century village of Old Salem and within walking distance of culturally rich, arts-friendly Winston-Salem, City of Arts and Innovation. Proximity from Piedmont North Carolina to the Great Smoky Mountains and the Outer Banks further enhances the total living and learning experience.
Augustus T. Zevely Inn
(Old Salem Bed & Breakfast)
The Hawthorne Inn
The Historic Brookstown Inn
- 50 USD (Non-Refundable)
- 800 USD
Need-based scholarships and payment plans are available. For more information, please visit the Lister-Sink Foundation.
To reserve a spot in an upcoming workshop, please complete the